Masala Chips are a hot favourite anywhere in Kenya, esp Nairobi. Don't miss the out when u go out there. The cheesy bit is my variation as we are lovers of cheese :)..
Potatoes – 5 pcs, peel, wash and cut in strips tomatoes – 1 pc, finely chopped
Onion – 2 pc, finely chopped Garlic and ginger paste – 1 ½ tbsp
Paprika – 1 ½ tbsp Butter – 2 tbsp
Ketchup – 2 tbsp Salt – as per taste
Chilli Sauce – 2tbsp Black Pepper – ½ tsp
Corriander – 3 tbsp Cheese - 2 cups, grated (cheddar/mozzarella)
Oregano herbs – 1 tsp
* Heat oil in a pan. Deep fry cut potato strips in oil till golden brown. Keep aside.
* Melt butter in another pan on low heat. Add onions, stir till golden brown. Add ginger garlic paste and mix for 5 mins. Add tomatoes and mix till butter leaves sides of pan. Add salt.
* Add ketchup and chilli sauce. Mix for 1 min.
* Add chips. Sprinkle paprika, black pepper and coriander. Mix well.
* Heat oven on 170° C. Grease oven tray and put saucy chips in tray. Spread out. Sprinkle cheese, coriander and herbs. Bake for 20-25mins or till cheese melted and bubbly.
* Serve hot.